Cold morning, crunchy toast, warm bowl, gooey eggs.
We love a good smelling kitchen, we love a kitchen that is transfused with spicy tomato, smokey red pepper pesto and sweet roasted pumpkin.
This is a classic that delivers to the senses. Dip your toast in the gooey goodness, get messy and enjoy.
- 4 eggs
- 1 tin of tomato
- 1 tbsp ras el hanut spice
- salt and pepper
- additional toppings as you like V
- Tahini dip
- dukkuh (middle easter spice)
- roasted red pepper pesto
- Slice 1/4 pumpkin into thin pieces and slice capsicum, ridding it of its seeds and top. Arrange in air fryer or oven roasting dish. Sprinkle a tsp of salt, pepper and middle easter spice mix (dukkuh) generously over the sliced vegetables. If roasting in an oven you may need a tsp of olive oil. Not necessary in an air fryer. Roast for 20 minutes.
- See separate recipe for Roasted Red Pepper Pesto below.
- Empty a tin of tomatoes into a pot on medium-high heat and add a teaspoon of ras el hanut spice, cover with lid and let it simmer until bubbling.
- Crack four eggs into the tomato mixture once it is pipping hot and cover with lid.
- While the eggs are cooking, get your bread toasting ( I choose paleo, for many reasons, it is a better alternative to conventional or most other gluten free kinds.)
- Arrange roasted pumpkin into a bowl.
- Once eggs have been cooking in tomato mixture and have hardened to your liking (3-4 minutes for a gooey centre, longer if you prefer firmer eggs) spoon out the tomato mixture into bowls and carefully scoop eggs into the bowl.
- Top with red pepper pesto, tahini dip (optional) salt and pepper to your tasting and more dukkuh spice.
- 2 cups roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 tbsp cashews
- juice of one lemon
- 1/2 tbsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin seed ground
Blitz in a blender until all is velvety smooth
The above with red pepper pesto makes 2 serves, the macros described are per serve and without toast or tahini dip:
Each: 301cal 18gP 13gF 28gC
Please note that the tsp of olive oil delivers another 25 calories per serve and 5g of fat, check the nutritional information on your bread and make choices that serve your goals.
One thought on “Shakshuka W Roasted Red Pepper Pesto”