Sweet cold treats needn’t be gone from your life. A ripe banana, frozen ahead, a blender and nut butter are all you need to turn your frosty dreams into scoop-able realties.
I make mine chocolatey and top it with crunchy bits of granola, this recipe offers options to be as creative as you like or strip it back to something you can whip up in minutes.
- 1 banana, frozen when ripe and chopped into small pieces (blacker, the better)
- 1/2 cup frozen berries (raspberries seem to work the best but blue or straw are great options too!)
- 1-2tbsp nut butter (I used peanut)
- 2 tbsp collagen powder (or protein of your choice)
- 2-4 tbsp cacao powder (depending how dark you like your chocolate)
- dash of water
- Optional extras
- pinch of salt
- sliced banana
- more nut butter
- cacao nibs
- This bowl is a super good opportunity to practice delayed gratification! Buy banana, forget it about it till it’s super ripe, chop into small bits and into a sealed bag or container, freeze over 12 hours.
- In a small blender (magi mix or the small vessel for a magic bullet work best) add your frozen banana and 1/2 cup of frozen berries, let soften 15 minutes. Add nut butter and the cacao & cinnamon if using. Then the dash of water. Blitz intermittently, you may need to stop, shake it up, scoop down the sides and blitz again until smooth.
- Once you have achieved creamy and dreamy; Scoop into a bowl and get creative with toppings but realise that toppings, whilst tasty, can be calorie bombs. For example, you get a good 120calories per tbsp of nut butter. So decorate according to your own nutritional needs.
The above makes 1 serve, the macros described are per serve and do not include toppings:
Each: 258cal 34gC 17gP 6gF
- These bowls are super versatile and a good way to use up fruit that has gone a bit ripe. Mango and avocado also work super well. You need not make it chocolatey and they can be a brilliant vessel for protein powder.
- it is tempting to use more water but try to avoid if you want a thicker texture and something not too watered down.
- If possible, enjoy outside.