Were you wondering what to do with that left over roast chicken from Sunday? There’s a big week coming up and the weather outside has you dreamy for bowls of nourishing warmth you can enjoy inside.
When the wind has you wanting to escape, do so! To the country, with this country chicken soup recipe. Prep time: 10 minutes , Cook time: 6 hours plus. A perfect option for when you have a little time to whip round the kitchen before heading to work.
- 1/2 a roast chicken (this was about 400g of pre-roasted, whole chicken bits.)
- 400g chopped pumpkin
- 2 onions, halved and peeled
- 1 courgette
- 1 carrot
- 1 lemon cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup dried lentils
- 2 knobs of garlic
- 2 stock cubes (vegetable or chicken)
- 1 tbsp Italian herbs
- 1/2tbsp thyme
- 1tsb cumin
- pepper (shouldn’t need much more salt as the stock cubes will have plenty
- pour over 400ml boiling water
- Dukkuh to garnish and enhance (optional)
- Simply add the above ingredients to a slow cooker 6-9 hours before you wish to eat and turn the dial to low. I set the kettle boiling first and then use that time whilst it does it’s thing to chop and add the vegetables.
- Turn the dial to high 30 minutes before you would like to eat. The ingredients should have softened and infused. Remove the lemons, serve into bowls and top with dukkuh.
The above serves 2
Each: 572cal 45gP 37gF 20gC
- My partner eats a lot… I therefore would do extra rice (as pictured above) or potatoes for him on the side so do this if need be but not they are not accounted for in the above macros.
- Though there appears to be a massive list of ingredients, fear not. I really just used what vegetables needed to be used that were already in the fridge and you would be welcome to do the same, root vegetables rather than nightshades work best. The onion and garlic can be left out if you struggle to digest them but they are a fantastic flavour hit.
- The chicken was pre-roasted from 2 nights before. If you are not using a pre-cooked chicken then cut a whole into quarter pieces and ensure it cooks for at least 7 hours.